August 31, 2006

A riddle

What's shiny and purple, lives in my pocket and brings me hours of pleasure when I get it out and play with it? That's right, it's my new DS Lite! Yes, I actually managed to find somewhere with one in stock, so I thought I'd treat myself to an early birthday present :) . It's dead sexy and the dictionary software is very nice and should be incredibly useful. It's still not as cool as my Atari Lynx though, obviously.

I find that I keep pondering the aspects of my appearance that make me feel conspicuous here. For example, I get quite embarrased about my left-handedness. I am informed that left-handedness is pretty much forbidden here (and, indeed, in the rest of Asia), and that children who show left-handed tendencies are "corrected" (the verb usually used by people in this context is 直す, meaning to correct/cure) as they grow up. I feel so conspicuous that I might start trying to use chopsticks with my right hand.

I finally got round to opening a bank account here, with the bank down the road from school. They gave me a box of tissues. The mind boggles, quite frankly.

6 comments:

Anonymous,  September 01, 2006 12:15 AM  

Tissues? You're not even allowed to blow your nose in public over there, are you?

Jazza September 01, 2006 5:50 AM  

Ooh, a DS lite. Dave just got one, Mario is fun on it :)

ジョン September 01, 2006 9:07 PM  

First, you bastard! I want one!
Second, you know I'm just messin' 'round.
Third ... you bastard.
Fourth, double thanks for today.
Fifth, southpaws' seikatsu is rough, isn't it?
And sixth, have fun with the DS!

Anonymous,  September 01, 2006 10:02 PM  

Hey. Wats it like up there. i wanna get to know u more. Add me if u have hotmail or msn. jackass_since_92@hotmail.com.
Thanx

Anonymous,  September 07, 2006 8:10 PM  

Yuka says that is common practice to get tissues. I asked if at sperm banks do you get a student railcard when you go there ? She looked at me blankly...

Anonymous,  September 09, 2006 9:46 PM  

Yeah that's absolutly common practice in Jap. Sometimes a towel, a money box or some stationery.. in fact these are unnecessary stuff at all:p

Peteに言ったの。
"イギリスじゃティッシュ高いんだからAndyも貰って喜んでるでしょ"って。
"ティッシュなんて普通に買えるじゃんっっ|o|"って言ってた。

やっぱり嬉しくないか。あはは
ひとまず口座開設と職ゲット、おめでとう。がんばれ:)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP