July 22, 2007

More guff

2 posts within the same week! Gadzooks!

Sorry about the last post, I didn't mean to sound overly miserable, or ungrateful as to my current situation (I am anything but). Strange thing is, I've felt a lot better since writing it. Just a lot more content within myself. I think I might be manic depressive :(

But anyway, I've had an enjoyable weekend...went out on Thursday and then I Friday myself and a friend sat outside the school bar all afternoon and much of the evening, drinking beer (my friend, being Dutch, has clued me into the proper pronunciation of "Hoegaarden" BTW), accosting teachers and acquaintances as they went past, forcing them to sit and chat with us. To their credit, we were unable to persuade any of the teachers (who were still on the clock at that time) into drinking with us. Saturday and today have been spent indoors (mostly because of the heat), watching movies and more Mystery Science Theater, doing nothing in particular (minimal studying, hehe), and finishing off my rirekisho (Japanese-language resume (sorry don't know how to do the accented characters on this Jap keyboard)).

As you can see from this example, the Japanese resume is a totally different beast to its Western counterpart. It's completely standardized; you buy the form from a convenience store, fill it out by hand with your personal details, work and educational history, and a little about your interests and why you're applying for the job, and send it off. Apparently it has to be filled out by hand so that the employer can garner some kind of idea of your personality through handwriting tests. This does not work in one's favor if one happens to a) be foreign and b) have worse handwriting than a doctor with Parkinson's, both of which apply to me. Still, hey ho.

Also, due to my being outside for most of Friday, I am currently pockmarked by mosquito bites. The mosquitoes here also seem to be a totally different beast to their Western counterpart, and I find they are a lot nastier. I wouldn't be at all surprised if I found out that the Japanese used their mosquitoes to torture POWs during WWII. The bites kind of leave you with this absolutely horrible itching/burning sensation for like 3-4 days. Plus they kind of make the skin around the bite go all kinda puffy and icky. Maybe that's just my gaijin reaction. I was wearing sandals and my feet seem to have well and truly gotten it the worst (Don't click here!)

Anyway, I think I've been writing this as a means of putting off doing homework, so better get back to it.

1 comments:

ジョン July 22, 2007 9:56 PM  

Good to hear that you're not doing so bad. I'm feeling pretty pooped out myself. But I properly studied for the first time in a while just now, so I'm feeling a bit rejuvenated. And thanks for the resume link too! That might come in handy.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP