September 12, 2006

Hassles from The Man

Something mildly strange happened the other day: I was cycling across town in a completely normal and inconspicuous manner when I was suddenly questioned by a policeman while waiting at a crossing. He started asking me if it was my bike, where I got it from, if I had the keys etc.; I answered all his questions and he gave me the "please go away" hand signal, which I took to mean that I was off the hook. I just can't help thinking - why? Because I'm a foreigner, did he assume that my bike was stolen? Even though my bike is a pile of ass that no-one would ever bother to steal? Either way, I got to feel briefly like a repressed minority! Now I can understand what all those NWA songs are about! A young brutha got it bad coz I'm white!

Still busy...end of term rapidly approaching + increasing amount of teaching work = aneurysms aplenty. Next week is my birthday though, yippee. Don't know what I'll be doing, don't really care just so long as it involves drinking substantial quantities of beer.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  September 13, 2006 2:03 AM  

You should have just carried the registration I gave you and whipped it out! Just kidding.

Glad the bike is serving you well. It's definitely on its last legs.

Have a happy birthday next week! Yours is actually quite close to mine...

ジョン September 13, 2006 10:12 PM  

Very well played, my brutha.

This actually happened to a pal of mine who was here at Yamasa for a couple of months. He's Taiwanese but looks just like a Japanese guy. He was stopped twice--on two consecutive days.*

What is it about these checks, I wonder. What is it? I'm black and I ain't been stopped yet. Well, a friend did say that Japan is like Bizarro America.

Can't we all just get along?

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP