January 7, 2007

Happy new year! / あけましておめでとうございます

Happy new year to all...

I am now safely re-ensconced in my little room in Okazaki after 2 weeks back in the UK visiting the fam, hence am feeling generally very jetlagged and uprooted at present. I didn't manage to sleep at all on the overnight 12hr return flight from London-Tokyo, and as a result my sleep cycle is completely shot...woke up at about 5am this morning. Hopefully I can realign it soon.

Anyway, except for the travelling and the tiredness caused thereby, I have had a very nice 2 weeks...very glad to have had the opportunity to see friends and family and to remind myself what life in the UK was like. I also had a good chance to relax. However, it being Christmas and all, I feel like I may have over-indulged on the food and beer fronts, and I worry that all the weight people kept telling me I'd lost is slowly returning to me...

My 2 weeks back have also, as I say, left me with a strange feeling of uprooted-ness, kind of like I don't know where home is any more...add to that the directionlessness and worry of not really knowing what I'll be doing in 3 months time (it looks like I'll be here for another 3 months unless I find a job or something by then) and we get a kind of feeling of discombobulation (now there's a word I should use more often).

So, nose goes well and truly back to the grindstone soon...I am a little worried (there's that word again) since all last term I felt like I was at the bottom of the class, was generally behind all my peers and was constantly playing catch-up...and now I have barely spoken, written or read a word of Japanese in the last 2 weeks (it just didn't seem...possible to even think about that stuff for most of the time I was away in a non-Japanese speaking country, if that makes any sense at all), so I'm afraid I'll be even further behind...

Oh yeah, and it's totally cold here and is actually snowing outside as I type! Criminy!!

2 comments:

ジョン January 07, 2007 7:45 PM  

アンディーさんが楽しい時間をイギリスで過ごして安全に戻ってきてよかったね。

Don't worry, as it seems most of us haven't studied much in the past few weeks. I know I sure haven't.

Here's hoping that we'll be in the same class this time around, which could be the last. T_T 前の伝説のMクラスを集めておいて一緒勉強しよう!

an observer January 09, 2007 5:29 PM  

"discombobulation"...now there's a new word for me.

Happy New Year! Glad the break was good for you. Don't worry about the Japanese...it might have helped you to get away from the language for a while. My head was definitely spinning after 3 months there...

Best of luck in the new term.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP